Topics

Friday, January 6, 2012

Pet Pleasers: 2012 Republican Primaries

So, as 2012 gets underway so does the bid to be the next President of the United States. To be honest, I haven’t been following the Republican candidates as I have in past elections. Partly because I do not have the time I used now that I have a toddler and now that I do not teach history/government anymore I have let my knowledge slip also.  It seems like the GOP just can't come to an agreement on who they would like to represent us in November.

Since the Iowa Caucus has concluded and New Hampshire is just right around the corner, I decided to put in my two cents worth. When I “googled” 2012 Republican Candidates I found this site: http://2012.republican-candidates.org/  I couldn’t believe how many people are technically running for President. Currently there are 14 candidates running….14!! Lots more than the, what, 7 or so that have been on TV? Loads are small time and are running on principle and I admire that. But on the other hand, I don’t understand putting themselves through all this with barely a hope to put a blimp on the radar. (more to come on this topic, so stay tuned…..)

Ok, back to the “basic” candidates. Depending on the state of your residence, all registered Republicans will be casting their votes for their favorite person to represent them against Obama in the general election in November.

At this point, I really don’t care who the nominee is, I just want OBAMA OUT! Having said this, however conservatives need to choose someone who can beat the President for re-election. I don’t know how America can survive another 4 years of Obama, do you? *ugh Originally, I assumed I would vote for Herman Cain, but then that all blew up so I was left in limbo. Romney seems to be the most popular nationwide and the one person who polls as beating Obama if the election was held today. But I just really don’t get a great vibe from Romney, too “smooth” for me I guess. Don’t get me wrong, if he happens be our nominee I will of course vote for him. The other one on my radar is Gingrich. I vaguely remember him when I was just barely understanding the political scene. I don’t particularly think his awesome, but I DO LIKE that most of the current Washington trash, oops I mean politicians, do not like him and have not supported him.  Good!!! I don’t want another crazy, idiot politician who is going to play the same section of the orchestra. I want someone who is going to walk down the isle a little off beat/key and stir some stuff up!

Offhand I really don’t know much about Santorum. Haven’t pay much attention to him, then all of a sudden I hear Fox talking about him and he ends up coming in 2nd in Iowa….wow! From what the pundits say on Fox & Friends, Santorum & Gingrich seem to split the hard-core conservative vote. What I do know is that I am going to be furious if a 3rd party candidate shows up this summer. We don’t need a repeat of “Bush 1”s re-election in the early 90s. You know, Ross Perot? That would guarantee a Democrat victory and another horrible 4 years under Obama.

Wouldn’t that just be a nightmare??? After the New Hampshire primary I will write a pro/con blog over the top 3 or 4 candidates to see how they are stacking up and who it looks like I will be voting for in February. I have had added 2 links to help you on your 2012 political journey. Enjoy!


http://www.2012presidentialelectionnews.com/2012-republican-primary-schedule/  This website lists the election dates for each state. Check it out if you are not sure when the primary will be held in your state.  

http://www.gallup.com/poll/election.aspx This site lets you know how the candidates stack up in the polls.



HappyElecting! J

No comments:

Post a Comment